National Planning Authority (NPA) Uganda Jobs May 2011: Vacancy-Senior Planner Geographical Information Systems (Gis)
The National Planning Authority (NPA) was established by an Act of Parliament No.15 of 2002 in compliance with article 125 of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda (1995). It is the principal statutory agency responsible for the management of national and decentralized development planning in Uganda. The primary function of the Authority is to produce comprehensive and integrated development plans for the country elaborated in terms of the perspective Vision, Long and Medium-term Plans. Following the review of the Strategic Plan and the Organization Structure, new positions have emerged. In this regard, the Authority is desirous of filling those positions.
5. Job Title; Senior Planner Geographical Information Systems (Gis)
Reporting to; Head ICT
This is a middle Managerial position in the Authority and the Officer will be responsible for performing Geospatial information processing by planning, organizing, and evaluating GIS/SDI operations and managing staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities;
The Officer will be responsible for:
• Coordinating the geo-spatial datasets, data standards, quality products, analysis, and dissemination of Information used In the development of a National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI).
• Developing, maintaining and managing NPA's information systems required to help easy storage and accessibility of geo spatial information.
• Coordinating activities related to NSDI global standard IM tools as well as be the NPA Uganda focal point for the NSDI platform;
• Drafting materials, and conducting continuous In-house trainings for NPA staff;
• Carrying out period needs training assessment for NISDIC members, and recommend specialized course a.
• Maintaining current system; evaluate, recommend, test and Install new geospatial technology; contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews ; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer service standards; resolving problems; identifying trends; determining system Improvements; implementing change.
• Provide information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends in new Geospatial technologies.
Key result areas (KRAs)
1. Periodic reports on needs training assessment for NISDIC and offering support on NSDI matters to the end users produced.
2. Ensure that the National Planning Authority’s information systems are developed and maintained
3. Coordinate with all key stakeholders regarding geo-spatial datasets, data standards, quality products, analysis, management and dissemination of Information used In the development of a National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI)
Remuneration to all. the above positions will be attractive and commensurate with the responsibilities attached to them.
The applicant must have the following qualifications;
1. Holders of a Honors Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems ; Mathematics ; Statistics ; Geo- Information Management from a recognised university plus a Master's Degree In Geomatics; Surveying; Geography ;Computer Science front a recognized University.
2. Working experience at least 6 years of progressively responsible in the area of GIS and IM. Extensive work experience with GIS Software (Arc GIS Server, Arc GIS Desktop end Mobile, ArcQ-GIS and others) and Map-Servers is essential.
Familiarity with NSDI development and Implementation is a must
How to apply
Submission of Applications
Interested candidates .should apply in writing with a copy of detailed CV and certified copies of all academic and professional qualifications to the address below. '
All applications must be in sealed envelop clearly indicating the NPA address and position applied for on the top right hand corner not later than 5:00p.m Wednesday 18lh May 2011. Please note that any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR NATIONAL PLANNING AUTHORITY 15B CLEMENT HILL ROAD P. O BOX 21434 KAMPALA